Sunday, October 25, 2009

What About the Peace Corps?

Ever since I was a little girl I dreamed about joining the Peace Corps. Over the years the reasons varied - running away, learning a foreign language, yearning for adventure, seeking nobility - and now I am considering volunteering as part of my encore career. The Peace Corps website provides a wealth of information. http://www.peacecorps.gov/
I took their quick survey to see if I could be considered a candidate. Based on my college education, experience with volunteering and in education, the survey results placed me in the category of potential Peace Corps volunteer. My candidacy may be deferred because I have high blood pressure (controlled by medication). They would have to monitor my condition for three months and then determine whether or not I could volunteer.
Amazingly, the Peace Corps provides health and dental insurance for volunteers during their service and for up to 18 months afterward. Other tangible benefits are extensive training and a small living allowance. The intangible benefits include immersion in another culture and language, the opportunity to meet new people and the satisfaction of helping in areas sorely in need of help.
One major deterrent for me is that volunteers are asked for a 27 month commitment. Hmmm. I am not ruling out a stint in the Peace Corps but I am not ready for it yet!
I encourage you to explore the Peace Corps website and learn about the variety of opportunities in the program. I especially enjoyed the lists of high achieving people who got their career starts in the Peace Corps. Live information sessions are held frequently throughout the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment