Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Value of Professional Conferences

During the past two weeks I participated in one national conference and one state conference of special education administrators. This was my 22nd and final appearance at the state conference, held, as is tradition, in Savannah, Georgia.  The national conference was held in beautiful San Diego, California.


The importance of these annual gatherings should not be underestimated. The meetings and information sessions provide insight into the operation of a wide variety of school systems.  At national conferences I am always alarmed to hear about the stranglehold teachers' unions exert in many states.  I am also always pleasantly surprised at the level of innovation and effectiveness that characterizes Georgia's special education programs. I am proud to have been a part of the development of our learning organizations.
The recurring response from my many professional colleagues when I announced that this would be my last conference was, "You'll be back." Friendships are forged, food is shared, and fun is had at these conferences.  The planned and unplanned social activities provide glimpses into people's "real" lives that we may not see otherwise.  Indeed, having drinks with folks from the state education agencies, colleges and universities, and school systems helps strengthen our network!
I will miss the camaraderie. But it is increasingly difficult for me to listen to the same issues and the same complaints about problems created by our overly restrictive federal special education law.  We have become a dysfunctional kingdom within the realm. I say let the younger generation take it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment