Sunday, March 7, 2010

Are You Ready to Retire?

  The decision to retire is based on financial preparedness and social-emotional preparedness.  This week I spent some time talking with colleagues about capturing the maximum benefit from the Teachers Retirement System.  To some this concept was new; to others it was not at all relevant.  Putting aside the awkwardness of talking about personal finances, how do we frame the conversation about social-emotional preparedness?
   I have read many articles and books on this stage of life. The semantic context may be encore careers, life portfolios, starting over, stepping aside (Anna Quindlan), or "the narrows" (Sara Davidson) but one common exercise emerges: the necessity of self-examination. I modified a quiz developed by Sara Davidson http://www.saradavidson.com/index.html to help clarify goals for my life after retirement. Complete these sentences:

I realize work is both rewarding and fulfilling. When retirement becomes attainable, I will be ready to go because...

The thing I will miss most when work is over is...

I have finished with... (name both good things and difficulties)

I still yearn to...

In the years to come, I will be grateful for...

   This exercise has been very helpful to me in decision-making and goal-setting. Please let me know if you find it valuable.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy,

    Interesting questions to think about.

    Obviously, I deal with the financial side, but generally a few months later, I am also trying to counsel on the emotional side. I have seen some people act like they are now free from captivity and others that become hermits. It is a strange mix, and you never know which way it will go.

    Thanks,
    Robby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good questions to ask yourself Buice. I am still trying to come up with the answers. I enjoyed reading your blog tonight. I will have to visit again! Bert

    ReplyDelete